November 30, 2010

Butterbeer

SEE UPDATED RECIPE FOR A BETTER VERSION! (coming soon!)


3x5 Recipe Card (PDF)
4x6 Recipe Card (PDF)

Ingredients
Butterbeer:
    6 12-oz. bottles cream soda
    3 teaspoons butter
    3 teaspoons butterscotch topping
Foam topping:
    2 cups heavy whipping cream
    6 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 1/2 teaspoons butter

Preparation
To make foam, in a large bowl or in the bowl of a standing mixer, whip the heavy cream on medium high speed for 3-4 minutes until it starts to thicken. Add sugar and continue whipping until very soft peaks begin to form, 3-4 minutes, more or less. Stir in the vanilla and butter and whip for another 30 seconds or so, until soft peaks form.

Set out 6 glasses. Drop 1/2 teaspoon of butter in each of the glasses. Add 1/2 teaspoon of butterscotch topping to each of the glasses. Microwave each glass for 10 seconds to melt the butter and topping. Pour in a bottle of cream soda or 2/3 up the glass (depending on which size glass you use). Add 3 spoonfuls of foam to each glass. Microwave each for an additional 15 seconds or to desired warmth.

Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.

UPDATE: If you are making butterbeer for a large crowd, you can microwave all of the butter and butterscotch in a large bowl until hot and bubbly (about 30 seconds to a minute) and then add all of the cream soda and microwave for 3 minutes or so, or until the cream soda is warm. Then just ladle the soda mixture into the glasses and top with the foam. I used this technique at my last Harry Potter party and it saved me a lot of time.



Tips from Hermione
After at least 4 tries, this is THE BEST butterbeer recipe I have found. My roommates and I tried 4 versions of the recipe and we all agree that this one is the best. Not only was it the best, but it made us feel like we were drinking butterbeer at the Three Broomsticks. It was so good that Chloe had seconds. And thirds. Ellen exclaimed "It tastes like candy!!" Shelby said "It gave me a mustache AND tickled my tongue! What more could you ask for?" (Yes, they literally said those things like they were giving testimonials.)

A while back, a friend told me about a butterbeer recipe on Mugglenet. I got the ingredients and tried it, but it was CRAZY sugary. We could only drink a little. I even had to modify the recipe because it was half butter and butterscotch syrup and half cream soda. That just didn't seem right. We tried two more recipes later on, but neither were any good. I kept modifying the recipe to try to get a modification that would taste alright, but nothing was working.

I read articles on the gloss often, and a couple of days ago they posted a butterbeer recipe. This one seemed about right, so I bought the ingredients. I decided to add butterscotch (to give it that hint of butterscotch flavor that J.K. Rowling talked about when she was asked what butterbeer tastes like). According to the books, Butterbeer is also supposed to be a warm drink, but we tried it cold first. Chloe then microwaved hers and we decided to try it warm, and we all like it much better that way.

UPDATE: Now that I have visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, I have tried their butterbeer and this recipe is essentially the same. Now I just have to figure out how to make it more buttery and more of an orangy color, like in the movies.



Enjoy your butterbeer! This is a terrific and easy recipe I'm sure you'll love.


                                               

0 comments:

Post a Comment